Question:
As an educator, what are your present strengths and weaknesses in technology? How do you plan to use your strengths? How do you plan to address the weaknesses?
Answer:
In order to perform routine tasks as an educator I have gained intermediate skills in word Processing and Power Point; and have a basic understanding of spreadsheets and databases. I know how to use a graphics program to make handouts, newsletters, etc. more attractive. I am proficient using email as a communication tool. I know how to navigate the Web and use search engines to locate information. I have basic skills when it comes to Web design. I am competent in my ability to use several pieces of audio/video equipment including: overhead projector, data projector, VCR and DVD players, digital and video cameras, scanners, and computers. I also have some experience using Smartboards. I possess basic software knowledge when it comes to downloading and installing; intermediate knowledge of running and evaluating. I know very little about hardware installation and compatibility on components. I have limited knowledge about security/virus protection. I have not had the opportunity to work with video conferencing equipment. I have an awareness of several things that can be created with technology that I have not yet attempted, such as book trailers and interactive posters.
As a librarian I plan to continue to build on many of the strengths I developed as a classroom teacher. I will use email to notify teachers of new resources available in the Library. Word Processing will be utilized in creating lesson plans; Publisher or a similar type program for designing newsletters; Spreadsheets for keeping an ongoing list of resources desired for purchase; and a Database for collection holdings. I will integrate the use of Smartboards and computer software into my lessons to make them interactive for my students. I will use the Web to teach my student how to perform online research. I will create and give electronic presentations. I will design and or maintain a library website (depending on district). I will teach my students about computer security issues and Web-based copyright laws.
As for those areas where I am lacking; it is my hope, through this class and seeking out professional development opportunities, I will continue to grow in my technology expertise. Of course knowledge alone is not enough; I will need to apply the information attain and practice new skills in order to become effective in using them as a library professional and modeling them for my students. In addition to attending classes, I will continue to read professional journals on related subjects. Another important resource in expanding understanding and strengthening my skill set will be my mentor. I will spend time volunteering in my mentor's school library observing and inquiring about those areas I am lacking. I believe this will be a opportunity to gain insight because my mentor's responsibilities encompass both Librarian and Media Specialist.
This is a very thorough assessment. But I can see that you already have a great set of skills coming in.
ReplyDeleteTeresa